Just fair warning. Don’t be surprised if I post a possibly unreasonable amount of squash based recipes on the blog in the coming weeks. It’s fall. You gotta embrace it!
I give you a recipe for a seriously tasty soup that my whole apartment enjoyed. The smell of roasted butternut squash was enough for my roommates to line up with their bowls ready. The extra effort to roast the squash was definitely worth it. I couldn’t help but snack on it fresh out of the oven. Other than that, this soup is really easy to make and super healthy! That sounds like a win win to me…
butternut squash soup with quinoa and chicken
– 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, and cut into chunks
– 2 tbsp olive oil
– a couple pinches of salt and cumin
– 1 1/2 cups of broccoli florets
– 2 zucchinis, cut into chunks
– 1 can diced tomatoes
– 2 cups kale
– 4 cups chicken broth (add extra water for a more liquid soup)
– 1 cup dry quinoa
– 2 cups water (to cook the quinoa)
– 2 chicken breasts
– 1 tsp salt and pepper
– 2 tsp nutmeg
– 1 tsp cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 375. Cut and peel a medium sized butternut squash. Toss in olive oil, salt, and cumin. Roast in the oven for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown with a soft center.
2. While the squash is roasting, chop the zucchini and broccoli and shred the kale. In a soup pot add chicken broth, the vegetables,diced tomatoes, and spices. Bring to a boil and let simmer.
3. In a separate pot, bring water to a boil and add the quinoa. Cook for a about 15-20 minutes until water is absorbed and quinoa is fluffed easily with a fork. Place into the main soup pot.
4. In a separate pot, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Place chicken pieces into the water and allow chicken to turn white and fully cook. Remove chicken and carefully shred. Place the shredded chicken into the main soup pot.
5. Once the squash has fully roasted place it into the main soup pot. Bring everything to a boil and let simmer until the kale is wilted and the zucchini is soft. Top with roasted butternut squash seeds and serve!